What Are Cookies?
Cookies are small pieces of data, stored in text files, that are stored on your computer or other device when websites are loaded in a browser. They are widely used to “remember” you and your preferences, either for a single visit (through a “session cookie”) or for multiple repeat visits (using a “persistent cookie”). They ensure a consistent and efficient experience for visitors, and perform essential functions such as allowing users to register and remain logged in. Cookies may be set by the site that you are visiting (known as “first party cookies”), or by third parties, such as those who serve content or provide advertising or analytics services on the website (“third party cookies”).
Both websites and HTML emails may also contain other tracking technologies such as “web beacons” or “pixels.” These are typically small transparent images that provide me with statistics, for similar purposes as cookies. They are often used in conjunction with cookies, though they are not stored on your computer in the same way. As a result, if you disable cookies, web beacons may still load, but their functionality will be restricted.
Many of the cookies I use are only set if you are a registered sfdevops.net user (so you don’t have to log in every time, for example).
For more information on the choices you have about the cookies I use, please see the Controlling Cookies section below.
Where I Place Cookies
I set cookies in a number of different locations across my services. These include:
- On my website, pages, posts, and comments.
- In the administrative dashboards of my website, such as wp-admin.
Types Of Cookies
The section below describes the types of cookies that I use on my website and why I use them:
- Strictly Necessary: These cookies are essential for Services to perform their basic functions. These include those required to allow registered users to authenticate and perform account related functions.
- Functionality: These cookies are used to store preferences set by users such as account name, language, and location.
- Security: I use these cookies to help identify and prevent potential security risks.
- Analytics & Performance: Performance cookies collect information on how users interact with my website, including what pages are visited most, as well as other analytical data. I use these details to improve how my website functions and to understand how users interact with it.
- Advertising: These cookies are used to display relevant advertising (if any) to visitors who use my services as well as to understand and report on the efficacy of ads served on my website. They track details such as the number of unique visitors, the number of times particular ads have been displayed, and the number of clicks the ads have received. They are also used to build user profiles, including showing you ads based on products you’ve viewed or acts you have taken on my (and other) websites. These are set by sfdevops.net and trusted third party networks, and are generally persistent in nature. Currently, however, I do not employ adds on sfdevops.net.
- Third Party/Embedded Content: My Services make use of different third party applications and services to enhance the experience of website visitors. These include social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter (through the use of sharing buttons), or embedded content from Youtube and Vimeo. As a result, cookies may be set by these third parties, and used by them to track your online activity. I have no direct control over the information that is collected by these cookies.
To find out more on how to manage and delete cookies, visit aboutcookies.org. For more details on your choices regarding use of your web browsing activity for interest-based advertising visit youronlinechoices.eu (EU based) or optout.aboutads.info (US based). On a mobile device, you may also be to adjust your settings to limit ad tracking.
You can opt out of Google Analytics by installing Google’s opt-out browser add-on.
Internal Analytics Tools
In order to better understand how my services are used, I monitor certain user activities that take place within my site, including page views and clicks on any links used when managing a site via the dashboards.
I call each one of these actions an “event.” Analytics events are attached to your sfdevops.net account and are handled via a third party utility. In general, the following data is recorded for each event: IP address, user ID and username, user agent, referring URL, timestamp of event, browser language, and country code.
You may opt out of my analytics program through your user settings. By doing so, you won’t share information with my analytics tool about events or actions that happen after the opt-out, while logged in to your account. Note that opting out does not disable the functionality of the actions I track – for example, if you publish a post, I will still have record of that (don’t worry!), but for an event or action after you opt out, I will not have other data associated with that action or event in the analytics tool.
Consent For Cookies On My Site
You may see a “cookie banner” on my website and dashboard. If you are visiting from the EU, then I do not set, or allow my partners (if any) to set, cookies or tracking cookies before you click to accept. When you consent in this manner, I may set cookies on the site, dashboards, and Services. I’ll display the banner to you periodically, just in case you change your mind.